The World’s First Stop for Interior Design
Rachel’s Family Room
What Ava Living designer Rhonda Chen, CID has to say about member Rachel Petrille’s room.
Rhonda Chen, CID ♣
What works and what doesn't in your room.
Your room reflects a unique personality that's unorganized. It creates a mood of being confusing.
Thank you for allowing me to review your room. I understand your dilemma with the small size of the room and the two openings in and out of the room.
The structure of the space is good, with the symmetrical windows, and the brick fireplace being a good focal point to begin working around. The furniture and accessories placement need improvement as they are lacking as they relate to the five principles of design (in particular balance, rhythm, harmony & unity, and proportion & scale).
The overstuffed furniture is disproportionate and too much for the small room, and the placement against the walls, with no traffic patterns, makes it difficult for the room to feel pulled together.
As you are looking for a few pointers, my recommendations would be as follows:
1) Make the fireplace your main focal point; bring down the fireplace shelf to a lower point and install a flat screen t.v. bracket at a view-able height for your t.v.;
2) Remove all of the furniture and heavy area rug in the room and keep the console table;
3) Purchase a new L-shaped sectional with washable microfiber fabric in a modern low-back style (approx. 108" Long), and a new upholstered armchair to coordinate, new functional/movable coffee tables (that can be used to store or rest feet on), new end table, new smaller area rug.
4) Remove all items from walls and rearrange in grouping on smaller wall;
5) Add open shelving and ledges to display family photos and art/accessories.
6) The new sectional should be positioned away from the walls and grouped with the other new furniture closer to the center of the room about 30-36" away from the entry into the room (along entire length (17'11") of room, closer toward the fireplace, with a traffic pattern in/out of the room (this will make the room cozy);
7) New softer window treatment;
8) New paint on window and door moldings closer to wall color to give a softer, larger look in the room (the contrast of the wood stain on the molding makes the room look smaller);
I hope this helps you to create a beautiful new room for your mom. If you need additional help in greater detail or you need floorplans and drawings, please check out the Online Designer Services for specific requests.
Thank you again, and let me know if you have additional questions.
All the best,
Now that you’ve received your personal room review, what’s next you ask?
Well, if your room is perfect,
congratulations! Enjoy your beautiful space. Don’t forget to come
back and visit us often to check out your designer’s latest designs,
share your ideas and passions with other design enthusiasts, and
explore our galleries of room photos, blogs, and articles.
If you’re still not sure
of where to start or prefer a more guided help, then get a Designer’s
Top 7 plan. Your designer will give you a 7 step makeover to do list
to serve as your guide to the perfect room.
If you’re more of a self explorer
and love a challenge, you may use the review to embark on your own
design adventure. If at some point you find you want to confirm your
color selection or get help with shopping for the right item, or some
dilemma question needs answer, our help is always just a click away.
However, if you’d like some help
completing your rooms from your inspiration to realization, the chart
below can explain which of our services best fit your needs.
Finally if there's something specific you need that we didn't touch upon, you can always request a custom quote from your designer of choice and they can tell you how they can help you.
Online Designer Services Guide
(scroll down for prices)
|Online Design Services
Designer's Top 7
|You don't know where to start. Designer's Top 7 makes it easy to start your design project with specific to do's for your space.
||You love the challenge of design and coordination and want to do it all by yourself.|
|You have a specific design
question that needs an expert's advice. Designer On-Demand is an
affordable and easy way to get your question answered quickly.
||You don't have design dilemmas in your projects.|
|3D Room Planner
||You need help with your
furniture layout and accessories placement. 3D Room Planner will give
you a visual and interactive plan of where to place your furniture and
||You're a spatial genius and can visualize exactly how you want your room to lay out.|
||You have trouble selecting a
specific item for your room or don't have the time to shop. Personal
Shopping saves time and helps avoid stress by delivering the right
recommendations for your selected items so you can purchase them
You've got a great list of shopping places on the internet and enjoy the confidence of choosing the right items for your room.|
|FREE Custom Quote
|You have a specific need that doesn't fit any of the services above or you just want the designer to do it all for you.
||You can get the help you need from one of the other Online Design Services listed above.||